Launch of US pharmacy technician society
ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting – Highlights
In November 2023 The Pharmacy Technician Society (TPTS) was launched under the wing of The American Society for Health System Pharmacists (ASHP). More than 7000 pharmacy technicians had joined the TPTS by December 2023.
TPTS is a new organisation led by pharmacy technicians and supported by the ASHP. It aims to provide critical advocacy and advancement opportunities for the pharmacy technician workforce in all patient care settings. The new organization offers a range of services, including comprehensive continuing education, career development, networking, publications and resources, and standards for the professional practice of pharmacy technicians. TPTS will also advocate for federal and state policies and regulations that promote safe and effective medication use and advanced technician roles.
TPTS builds on the work done by its forerunner, the ASHP Pharmacy Technician Forum, which has existed since 2018.
“The launch of TPTS is a historic moment”, said Hannah K. Vanderpool, PharmD, MA, executive director of TPTS and vice president of ASHP’s office of member relations. “We need to ensure technicians across all practice settings have the support they need to thrive, and are pleased to provide a new professional home solely dedicated to empowering pharmacy technicians as we support advancements in technicians’ careers, expansion of technician knowledge and skills, and advocacy and leadership for the technician workforce.”
TPTS is offering pharmacy technicians a free trial membership until June 30, 2024, with all members receiving:
- Access to continuing education, webinars, podcasts, and practice resources such as a monthly newsletter, a comprehensive website, and career development services.
- Opportunities to connect with other pharmacy technician professionals across the country through live and virtual networking forums.
- National and state advocacy on behalf of pharmacy technicians.
- Venues to create and advocate for policies and regulations that promote safe medication use and create advanced practice positions for technicians.
- Toolkits, guidelines, publications, and other resources that support the daily work and advancement of pharmacy technicians.
TPTS will appoint members to its inaugural Board of Directors in 2024, and technicians will vote for TPTS Board members going forward.